Harmaja

Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 2 of 13
< Prev Next >
Passing_Harmaja_onboard_ship.jpg
Harmaja Lighthouse. Stone daybeacons were built on the island as early as the 1500s to guide arriving ships to the port of Helsinki. The original stone lighthouse proved to be too short, so in 1900 its lantern was removed and replaced by the cast iron tower which presently stands. The Helsinki pilot station and a tall communications tower also occupy the island about 6 km south of Helsinki.